People are living longer today, and there are good reasons why. Many attribute it to having good genes. But more research shows a positive outlook and a sense of purpose make a big difference, too.
Experts in integrative medicine who counsel patients on the relationship between mental and physical health offer the following key tips for aging more gracefully:
- Make the most of each day by living in the moment
- Forgive yourself and others, and don’t dwell on the past
- Have a sense of humor, and don’t take yourself too seriously
- Stay curious, keep learning new things
- Focus on being flexible in both your mind and body
- Practice some form of meditation, be it prayer, gardening, or other pastimes
- Find a reason to be grateful each day and express your gratitude
Integrative physicians know that by embracing these principles seniors can build a better sense of purpose and find more reasons for living while enjoying better health. A good frame of mind also will help maintain positive, fulfilling relationships with others. You’re never too old to shape a rewarding life.
Be Mindful and Live for Today
As the old saying goes, “Age is only a number.” By doing simple things like being mindful, living in the present moment, and appreciating each and every day to the fullest, you can approach aging with an attitude of gratitude as opposed to dwelling on the passage of time. And by staying active, healthy, and fit, you might not be able to literally turn back the hands of time, but you can at least feel years younger than you actually are!
Browse through our other articles on Council of Seniors 365 to get more tips on leading an active lifestyle.
For the latest updates from Council of Seniors, follow us on Facebook and Twitter!